Should I Talk About Dementia?
Yesterday, I mopped my mother's kitchen.
I was woefully unprepared for the task. I felt like I was just pushing dirty water around. I finally decided it was good enough for a first pass. I could come back later with stronger soap and a scrub brush.
The floor was slippery. I decided to warn my mother.
I tried to tell her. She couldn't hear me. I told her I had mopped. Before I could tell her anything else, she interrupted to tell me the mop was hanging up in the kitchen.
We yelled back and forth for a few minutes, me trying to tell her I already mopped the floor, and her acting like I was stupid for not being able to find the mop hanging in plain sight. Finally, she asked what I wanted her to do. I told her to stay off the slippery floor. She said okay.
As usual, she has to have the last word. So when I got to the backdoor, I heard her say, I'll go in my kitchen whenever I please.
So I presume she has fallen and broken her hip, and when I finally come over to finish cleaning, I'll find her on the floor, and it will be all my fault because I didn't tell her the floor was wet.
I shouldn't have said anything. It doesn't matter if she can hear me or not, she always wants to be contrary to me. She has always been like this. That's how she is the center of attention.
I watch a lot of tiktok videos about people who don't really get along with their parents, but they ended being the caregivers. I understand what they are going through; I feel less alone.
It occurs to me that what I am dealing with may help someone else feel validated. I can tell you all about narcistic personality disorder, dementia, and hoarding. I can tell you how frustrating it is to have someone undo everything you did to keep them safe and cared for. I can tell you about an 83 year old spoiled brat who broke windows so we would be forced to spend time with her, and then got annoyed because we were still putting in glass when she was ready for us to leave.
So would you like some pictures/videos? Or is this subject too depressing?
Blessed be.
The subject is not too depressing for me if you want to talk about it.
ReplyDelete