Carrot Raisin Salad Without Raisins


 Last night, I put a little more effort into cooking. I made a roast. I had lots of carrots left over from my daughter's pet rabbit that died two months ago. I wanted to use the carrots, but not cook them with the roast. My husband is the only one who really likes the veggies in the pot roast. 

I figured I had three choices- steamed, candied, or carrot raisin salad. I remember talking about weird food with my husband. I am fairly certain he hated carrot raisin salad. I liked it. My mother made it all the time. But I couldn't remember, so I called to ask.

He likes the carrots, but he refuses to eat raisins unless he's eating them out of the box. He claims to have had a very bad experience with raisins, but he refuses to tell me what it was. He thinks raisins in food looks like tiny cockroaches, so I assume he was pranked. That sounds like something his mother would do.

He told me I could make the salad and just add raisins to mine, like I do with relish and potato salad. He won't eat pickles. I tell him he is unAmerican. He claims to not like jalapenos, which I think is about as angry pickle as you can get, but I have seen him eat them, and he loves jalapeno poppers. 

I don't like reserving food to be different from what I think is the correct preparation. He doesn't like taco seasoning either. And I make my seasoning from scratch. Mine is red, not orange. One of my adult sons steals my taco seasoning from my house, even though I have given him the recipe. 

I decided to forgo the raisins. The most time consuming part was using the carrot peeler. I didn't make much because I correctly predicted my daughter would hate it. My carrot salad tasted better than my mother's. 

Later my husband said he didn't really like stuff like that, but it wasn't bad at all. 

Feeling pretty good about transforming trauma into a good dinner, I added a stone to my kitchen altar. I want to transform a few more things. I added Labradorite. I already had some rocks on the window sill. Today is Tuesday, when I clean the kitchen and water my plants. I move things around during watering so I know I took care of my plant wards. I stand at the sink multiple times a day for reasons both majickal and mundane. Seeing the stone will help me remember what I am trying to change. 

Blessed be, my dears. Stay safe and well.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Full Moon Post

Fuck Me Running

The Witches & Majick Series Spring Edition Day 2